Dandruff is a common scalp disorder that may be caused by dry scalp, irritated oily scalp or a bacterial/ fungal infection. While we may not know the exact cause of dandruff each time it appears, give these natural and easy home remedies a shot to remove dandruff before you subject your hair to harsh chemicals.
1. Tea Tree TricksTea tree’s antifungal and antibacterial properties make it a perfect home remedy for dandruff. Add a few drops of tea tree essential oil to a carrier oil like coconut (also great for treating dandruff) or almond oil, massage onto your scalp and leave it on overnight or for at least an hour prior to a hair wash. If you’re crunched for time, you can, alternatively, add a few drops directly to your shampoo.
Also Read Ways To Remove Dandruff In Marathi
2. Neem To The RescueNeem has been the quintessential home remedy for a myriad of skin and hair problems. Like tea tree, it also has antifungal and antibacterial properties. Since neem is so widely available in India, you can incorporate it into your hair care routine in various ways.
Also read: Oily Scalp + Dry Ends?! Here’s How To Deal With Combination Hair!
- Make a paste of fresh neem leaves and massage the paste onto your scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes before washing it off.
- Add a few drops of neem essential oil to your hair oil or shampoo (depending on how much time you can spare).
- Boil neem leaves in water, strain and use the concoction as the final rinse post shampoo. Alternatively, you can put it in a spray bottle and spritz it on to your scalp.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar For The WinMost of us have probably used ACV to get shiny locks, but its benefits extend to it being a cure for dandruff as well. Dilute a capful of ACV with water and use it as a final rinse after shampooing. It will reduce dandruff and leave you with a shiny mane.
4. Lemon MagicDilute the juice of 1 lemon into a cup of water and rinse your hair with it. The acidity in the lemon helps balance the pH of your scalp and thereby reduces dandruff. Be careful not to overdo it with lemon as it can dry your hair out.Also read: 7 Amazing Hair Masks To Make Your Hair Smoother & Straighter!
5. Wonders Of Coconut OilCoconut oil is miraculous when it comes to skin and hair health. It works wonders in curing dandruff as well. Massage a few teaspoons of coconut oil into your scalp and leave it on for an hour before washing off. If pressed for time, opt for a shampoo containing coconut oil. You'll notice a difference after a few washes!Images: Shutterstock