Hello, all you beautiful brides-to-be! We know you want to be at the top of your beauty game for your shaadi functions and, of course, your honeymoon. So we bring to you a handy guide for highlighters - the one makeup item that can add an instant glow to your whole look. This ultimate guide to highlighters will tell you everything you want to know, all in one place! So read on:
What are highlighters?
Think of highlighters as a better, sexier version of your everyday concealers. Highlighters are used to add a healthy glow to your complexion and bring focus to your best features.
How many types of highlighters are there?
There are four types of highlighters that you can use.
Cream: Cream highlighters are thick highlighters that give your skin a well-moisturized, dewy look. They are thicker than liquid highlighters and are usually available in stick form.
Liquid: Liquid highlighters are mixed with moisturizers or applied directly after putting on foundation. They should be used sparingly as they are pretty concentrated.
Powder: Powder highlighters give a matte effect to your face. They are typically used to highlight a large area and provide a natural finish.
Mineral: Mineral highlighters are powder-based and lightweight.
How can I use highlighters?
There are multiple ways in which highlighters can be used and multiple benefits of using them.
Our Top Picks:
1. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural
This mineral highlighter with a 77-mineral complex blends really well into your skin, giving it a subtle glow. It’s available in 18 shades, which means that you can choose one that goes perfectly with your skin tone!
Price: Rs 2,400. Buy at any MAC outlet.
- You can use them to give your makeup a final finishing touch. Use a shimmery highlighter to highlight your cheekbones. Blend it outwards towards the temple to push attention to your eyes!
- Another benefit of using highlighters is that they can camouflage your dark circles. To give your under eye area a soft focus, use a highlighter on the inner eye corner and blend it outwards. Put concealer on top to achieve that lit-from-within glow.
- Use a highlighter just above your eyebrows - along your brow bone - to give your eyes an instant lift.
- Also use it on the high planes of your face like the center of your forehead, down the bridge of your nose, on your chin and above your cupid’s bow to help you look all glow-y!
2. Benefit Watt’s Up Cream Highlighter
This cream to powder highlighter has the dual benefit of coming in an easy-to-use stick that is really easy to apply and also gives your face a gorgeous matte glow.
Price: Rs 2,008. Buy at any Sephora outlet.
3. Revlon Photoready Skinlights Face Illuminator
This liquid highlighter has received rave reviews ever since it entered the market. The Bare Light and Peach Light shades work well with Indian skin tones, so go ahead and stock up for a healthy shine!
Price: Rs 950. Buy it here.
4. Coloressence Shimmer Highlighter
This shimmer highlighter is for those days when you want more than just a subtle glow. For shaadi functions, we recommend you go all out with this shimmery highlighter.
Price: Rs 375. Buy it here.
HAVE A STORY IDEA FOR POPxo? If you want to hear about it, we can write about it! Just tell us your idea here!
Published on Jun 01, 2016