Every girl tackles that time of the month in her own way. Her weapon could either be in the form of a menstrual cup, a sanitary pad or a tampon. If you’ve always been curious about different types of period protection tools, and are open to making a switch, you’ve come to the right place!
Tampons Vs Pads Vs Cups
Tampons Vs Pads Vs Cups, can't decide which one is ideal for you? How about we take a look at everything there is to think about menstrual hygiene products!We’ve also listed both the pros and the cons of using either of these babies to help you decide the best one for you. Have a happy and comfy period! :)
1. Menstrual Cups
Not only is a menstrual cup shaped like a bell, but it’s also extremely flexible. Depending on how heavy or light your flow is, you can change it every 5-12 hours. It has to be inserted well into your vagina and acts as a cup where menstrual fluid collects. Interesting, eh?! Also keep in mind some of the pros and cons of menstrual cups .
- Can be worn for long hours and is ideal to use while sleeping.
- Unlike tampons, it is safer. There’s a lower risk of getting toxic shock syndrome.
- It’s reusable and can last for many years.
- Does not give off any unpleasant odour.
- Saves money and is environment friendly.
- Perfect to use on days when your flow is light.
- Your body is less prone to cramps.
- Cleaning the cup after use becomes slightly messy.
- Not suitable to use if you have fibroids or uterus infection.
- Maintaining, storing and sterilizing the cup with boiling water after use could be a task.
- The process of getting comfortable with the cup if you’re using it for the first time.
POPxo Recommends: Silky Cup, Diva Cup, Lunette Cup.
2. Sanitary Pads
It’s an absorbent item and one of the most popular products to use while you’re on your periods. It’s usually attached on the undergarment and its purpose is to absorb menstrual fluid. You have to change it more than twice a day. Make sure understand the pros and cons of sanitary pads before using them.
- Extremely easy to use and can commonly be found across stores globally.
- You don’t have to worry about the toxic shock syndrome.
- Allows the vagina to clean and shed its walls naturally.
- Suitable to wear if your flow is light. You also get pads designed for heavy flow.
- Can get uncomfortable and cause itching.
- Not environment friendly as they’re non-biodegradable.
- Prone to causing bad odour during hot days when your flow is heavy.
- Depending on your flow, you will have to change them more than twice a day.
- They contain chemicals, plastics, adhesives that lead to infections and allergies.
POPxo Recommends: Whisper Ultra Overnight Sanitary Pads, Whisper Ultra Clean Sanitary Pads XL Wings, Stayfree Advance Ultra Comfort XL.
A tampon is a soft absorbent material that’s designed to easily fit into the vagina and and absorb menstrual fluid. It acts like a block to stop the flow and is comparatively more hygienic than sanitary napkins.
So are tampons the best approach, or would they say they are more inconvenience than they're value? Here are the pros and cons of tampons to help you make an informed decision.
- Compared to menstrual cups, tampons are easier to insert and are comfortable.
- They’re more hygienic and don’t come into contact with the pubic area or skin.
- They’re comparatively smaller in size and easier to dispose.
- Odour is absent as it is securely placed inside your vaginal walls
- You don’t have to worry about it being visible like panty or pad lines.
- You feel a lot more active as it can be worn during sports like swimming!
- If you insert them with precision, you hardly feel a thing.
- Can get uncomfortable while sleeping if not inserted right.
- You have a tough time telling whether you need to change the tampon or not.
- If you leave it in for too long, you run the risk of toxic shock syndrome.
- You need to change the tampon every 4-5 hours.
- Can cause inconvenience if you aren’t used to wearing them.
- Like pads, they too aren’t very eco-friendly.
- You may also experience pain and severe cramps.
POPxo recommends: Softy Tampons, O.B Tampons, Bella Tampons
You Might Like These
9 Tips On Maintaining A Healthy Vagina!
8 Ways To Make Sure Your Period Comes On Time… Every Time!