You’ll be happy to know that female condoms exist for a good reason! They not only protect your body from catching sexually transmitted diseases, but they also help avoid unwanted pregnancy. To make your life easier, we’ve answered some of the most popular questions about female condoms below. (You’re welcome) :)
1. How on earth do I use a female condom?
With a lil bit of patience and practise, you’ll be a pro at it! :D
- Before you insert the condom down there, make sure that you’re in a comfortable position. It could be raising a leg up, lying down, squatting. (Basically, whatever floats your boat.)
- Using your thumb, squeeze the inner ring and gently insert the sheath into the vaginal opening. Remember that the outer ring must remain outside the vagina at all times!
- You may have to guide the penis into the condom to ensure that it doesn’t slip into the vagina, just to be on the safer side. .
2. Can a female condom and a male condom be used at the same time?
Nope. The reason being that both condoms may lead to friction which may cause the other to tear or slip off.
3. Are female condoms reusable and safe to use?
Sadly, no. Once you use it, you must discard it immediately after sex for hygiene and safety purposes. And yes, it’s extremely safe to use during vaginal or anal sex.
4. Can the female condom get lost inside a female’s body?
Firstly, breathe! It cannot get lost in your body! Because of its particular size, it cannot go past the cervix or uterus.
5. What material is the female condom usually made of?
It’s made out of a really thin sheath of polyurethane and the rings too are flexible and made from the same material. In most female condoms, the sheath is pre-lubricated to avoid friction.
6. Do female condoms come in more than one size?
They come in free size and are tested and designed to fit every woman. So don't worry!
7. Can I use a female condom while I’m on my period?
Yes, you can. It doesn’t interfere with your menstruation process at all. If you’re a girl who wears tampons during her periods, make sure that you remove it before you insert the female condom.
8. What are the perks of using a female condom?
It helps prevent pregnancy, keeps STDs and HIV at bay, does not affect your fertility in the future and has no medical side effects. And it is 95% effective in avoiding pregnancy if you use it perfectly according to the instructions.
9. Where can I buy female condoms from?!
Supermarkets, pharmacies or you can order them online.
10. Is the female condom comfortable to use?
It may feel awkward at first, but you’ll get used to it. It’s almost the same length when compared to male condoms, but the difference is that it’s wider. It’s designed to take the shape of the vagina and is extremely flexible as well.
Images: Giphy, Tumblr, Shutterstock
HAVE A STORY IDEA FOR POPxo? If you want to hear about it, we can write about it! Just tell us your idea here!
MUST-READ: 7 Surprising Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Condoms!
MUST-READ: 7 Surprising Things You’re Doing Wrong With Condoms
Published on Jun 14, 2016