Periods suck - all of you would totally agree! But cheer up ladies, because there are some advantages we reap from our monthly crimson visitor. Here are some surprising benefits of menstruation (*hint* – it actually helps you look fabulous!) Knowing about these will definitely help get you through those monthly cramps, bloating, mood swings and all around crappiness. You’re welcome!
Also Read Periods Delay Tablets
1. It makes sex feel better!Having sex on your period may sound like a messy affair but once you try it, you’ll probably always want to do it. Testosterone levels increase during your period, which enhance your libido - making sex better for women and leading to more satisfaction. Plus, an orgasm helps relieve those cramps - so it’s win-win ;)
Must Read About Natural Ways To Regulate Periods
2. It slows agingPeriods could be the reason why women live longer than men. Menstruation leads to iron loss and iron feeds free radicals. Excess of iron can increases your risk of heart disease, strokes and even Alzheimer’s!Also read: Yes, Your Skin DOES Change With Your Menstrual Cycle. Here’s How!
3. It’s a sign that your body is working wellA regular period is proof that your hormones and chemicals are working in a consistent manner and are well-balanced. It’s a sign that your body is working exactly how mother nature intended it.
4. It’s a natural cleanserMenstruation is a natural cleansing process for your body. It gets rid of bacteria from the reproductive system and even flushes out excess iron from your body. Iron is good, but too much of it can put you at risk of cardiovascular diseases.Also read: Have a Clean Period! 6 Commonly Overlooked Menstrual Hygiene Tips
5. It reduces bloating
Progesterone is a hormone that encourages slow metabolism and water retention. A day or two after you get your period, progesterone levels drop. This helps lose water weight and helps digest carbs better. So this happens to be the perfect time to binge-eat pasta and pizzas, girls!
6. It helps you look betterTowards the end of your period phase - say on Day 3 or 4 - levels of estrogen surge and only increase for the next few days. This estrogen high helps give you clearer skin and brings a glow to your complexion. It also helps improve your mood and that, by itself, makes you look and feel SO much better!
7. It helps you plan your life better – right from sex to babies
Understanding your menstrual cycle can help you in so many ways. Remember that you’ll enjoy sex best when your testosterone levels are highest, which is in the first half of your cycle – from Day 1 to Day 14 (Day 1 being the first day of your period.) The middle phase of your period cycle - say, Day 14 - is also when you’re ovulating or are at your most fertile, which helps if you’re planning to have a baby.Oh, and your cycle can affect your exercise and fitness game too! Lower estrogen levels (which usually is the case between Day 4 to Day 11 of your cycle) help you feel more energetic and pumped, which is perfect for high intensity workouts.
And that’s why being attuned to your menstrual cycle can have so many benefits!Images: Giphy, Shutterstock