Indian wear is adorned with beautiful embellishment and prints. The intricate work and detailing that goes into producing gorgeous sarees and kurtas have made Indian outfits popular and much-loved throughout the world. However, too much of a good thing isn’t always good. There are some mistakes we all make while wearing Indian outfits that tend to make us appear shorter. Read on to find out what they are!
1. You’re not wearing the right fitImage: Sonam Kapoor on InstagramWe cannot emphasize enough just how important the right fit and size is when it comes to Indian wear. We sure love our loose fitted kurtis and salwar suits, but it is important to know the difference between a loose-fitted silhouette and an incorrect size. So even if you are wearing a loose kurti, do make sure that the shoulders always fit you right.Also read: 7 Fashion Mistakes That Are Making You Look Shorter!
2. You’re wearing too many printsPrints define Indian outfits but wearing too many prints at once can make your ensemble a little too cluttered and make you appear shorter. If you are short, then avoid wearing loud prints. Go for abstract or minimal vertical prints that make you appear tall and slender.
3. You’re draping your dupatta the wrong wayImage: Karisma Kapoor on InstagramLet’s be clear. There is no wrong way to drape a dupatta. So why this advice, you ask? The point is you need to know how to drape the dupatta for YOUR body type and size. Always remember to drape your dupatta neatly in one definitive direction. An easy way to avoid looking shorter is to not wrap it in front like a shawl and cover your neck. Let your neck breathe and hang your dupatta on one side.Also read: 6 Mistakes To NEVER Make While Buying Everyday Indian Wear!
4. You’re not wearing the right braThe most important and basic rule when it comes to dressing - regardless of Indian or Western or bodytype - is wearing the right kind of bra. It plays a huge role in how your final look turns out. An ill-fitted bra can create an unpleasant silhouette and distort the fit of your kurta or blouse and make your body look broader and shorter.
5. You’re wearing the wrong hemlineImage: Deepika Padukone on InstagramWhen you wearing a kurti or a kurta set, always choose the right hemline that suits your body. Short girls should avoid hemlines that cut at the knee or right below the knee. Always go for longer lengths that seem to elongate your body, making you look tall and slender.Also read: 9 Mistakes You Should Never Make While Wearing An Indian Outfit!
6. You’re wearing the wrong trouser lengthSimilarly, do remember to highlight your legs the right way by wearing the right trousers. Wide-legged pants and trousers work best if you want to appear taller. Avoid cropped pants that cut above your ankle as they cut your legs short making you appear shorter.