11 Reasons Every Indian Girl Thinks SO Much About Marriage
We’re modern Indian women. We’re young, fabulous, independent and almost always thinking about marriage - our own or of the people around us! And this is true even for those of us who aren’t ready to get married anytime soon. Sounds a bit contradictory, eh? Well, these 11 reasons might explain why every young Indian woman thinks SO much about marriage...
1. Our families may not be thinking of marrying us off any time soon… But some far-away relative probably is!
And every family function is just another occasion for these ‘door ke rishtedaar’ to raise concerns about our marriage - and remind everyone that we should get married soon!
4. Happy endings in Bollywood have historically concluded in a wedding!
And when the authority on romance passes a judgement like that, wouldn’t our subconscious register?
5. Even professional workplaces ask if marriage figures in our five-year plans!
‘Coz if being married grants you the privilege of coming across as someone who’s more responsible, being single tells them you don’t have familial commitments on your time. But somehow, none of this ever affects the man - because married or not, he’s gotta earn the bread!
10. The moment you turn 23, suddenly everybody around you starts getting married too!
And then, you can’t help but feel that marriage is quite like an epidemic that’s slowly catching up with even those who were immune to it…
11. Marriage falls into a prescribed life plan - how can you skip it?
Go to school, get into a college, find yourself a job, get married, have kids, save money for their education, get them married…and live a complete life. That’s the pattern we’ve been asked to follow. No wonder we can’t stop thinking if it is the next inevitable step that we must take in our lives.