#MyStory: I Was In The Hospital… And I Fell For My Doctor!!

#MyStory: I Was In The Hospital… And I Fell For My Doctor!!
On November 11, I was admitted to a local hospital in Pune after being diagnosed with dengue. I was quite disappointed - my finals were just four days away and I was being hospitalized for more than a week.

My mood took a 180 degree turn when I saw this handsome man walk towards me. I was on my bed, burning hot with high fever, but still I was feeling good looking at him. He actually was my doctor and had come for the daily checkup - lucky me! He checked my BP and pulse count, and the fact that this was going to be my everyday routine totally made me forget about dengue. I was actually blushing, which he probably noticed, or maybe thought my cheeks were all red because of the high fever.

I would look forward to his routine round, every morning. No matter how dizzy, sleepy or ill I was, the fact that he was around would wake me up. One day, it dawned on me that he was seeing me every day in those stupid hospital clothes and unkempt hair and I thought, “Oh boy, I look much better than this! You have to see me outside this hospital and all healthy.” I was going crazy for this guy.

One morning, he came for the regular round; I got up and sat feeling conscious of my hair and how I was looking. Surprisingly, that day he said, “Good morning”! And all I did was whisper back my greeting in a hoarse voice as I had a sore throat. He finished his daily routine of BP check and other file work and left. When he left, my mom asked me why I didn’t greet the doctor. And I was like “Nooo…I did…my stupid voice ditched me!” Obviously, he also didn’t hear me, I felt so bad.

The next day I got up before it was time for his round, cleared my throat and was all prepared to talk to him. But, sadly, he didn’t wish me nor didn’t he check my BP or pulse count. He did the file work and went. I kept cursing myself: “Look at what you have done!”

Every day I would try to start a conversation with him, but I couldn’t gather enough courage. And he never spoke to me after that day. All he did was a look at me once or twice and when I would catch him looking at me he would look away.

On my last day at the hospital, he came for the morning round and then just disappeared from the ward. I was having very mixed feelings - on the one hand I was happy to be my healthy self again, but at the same time I was feeling sad that I wouldn’t be able to see him again. For a moment I wished I wouldn’t get discharged at all.

After all these days, the only thing I knew about him was his name, as he used to sign my file every day.  It was time for me to leave, all the paperwork was done, and my eyes were searching for him...but there was no sign of him. At last, I left with a heavy lump in my heart and the thought that this was it, I would never ever see him again. But to my surprise, as I was walking away from the hospital premises I saw him coming towards me.

met my man at the hospital


“Thank you God!” I kept whispering, and then my mom said, “You should thank your doctor.” If only she knew my situation! All I could manage was a smile at him. He smiled back…and my heart just melted.

However, I was not ready to let it go; I decided to take the next step and started looking for him on Facebook. (Thank you, Mr Zuckerberg, for your awesome invention.) Since he had rather unusual name, it didn’t take me too much time to find him. And there he was, I was even more delighted to know he was a Bengali; I have always found Bengali men interesting.

Friend request sent...! TADAAA!

Guess what, within an hour he accepted my request. That night we chatted till 4 a.m., and within two days he asked me out. Of course I said “Yes!”  

It’s been a year since we have been in a relationship...and he is such a gentleman and the perfect guy for me. Who would have ever thought that suffering from a disease like dengue would actually be a blessing in disguise?!