This is a very common concern for us ladies. While we love to wear our ethnic outfits, we are also worried that the flowy silhouettes and the heavy fabrics might be making us look shorter. If you already fall on the shorter end of the scale and you are looking for ways to look a tad bit taller in Indian wear, then you have come to the right place.
Here are some fab styling tips on how to look taller in Indian wear.
1. Don’t settle for anything less than the perfect fitFitting is the most important thing to keep in mind when you are wearing ethnic clothes. There is a reason that, even today, Indian women prefer tailor made kurtas and lehengas as opposed to the readymade ones already available in the market. Indian wear has been designed in such a way that it should fit you like a comfortable second skin. Wearing kurtis or blouses which don’t fit you well will create a very unflattering look and might leave you looking bulkier and shorter.
2. Drape the dupatta right for your lehengaLehengas make every Indian woman look like a dream. They come in gorgeous fabrics and designs and we’re pretty sure all of us feel like a princess when we get to twirl around in them. When you’re wearing a lehenga, do make sure that your choli is fitted and ends right under your bustline. Drape the dupatta of the lehenga on one side like a sari pallu instead of draping it like a shawl. This creates long vertical lines along your body and makes you appear taller and slimmer.
3. Make sure that the sari drapes just right!We can’t deny how much we love our saris. They define elegance and make any woman look twice as beautiful. To look taller in a sari, make sure you tie it on your waist and not higher. Wearing a low waisted sari with a perfectly fitted blouse elongates your torso, making you look slender and tall. Since you have the freedom to wear heels in a sari, wear comfortable high heels to add some extra but hidden height. Go for flowy light fabric like chiffon or georgette rather than heavy cotton or embroidered saris.
4. Keep in mind the length of the kurtaKurtas are the most comfortable Indian wear option we have. They come in number of different styles and designs. The important thing to keep in mind is the length of the kurta. Kurtas that end at the knee visually cut your legs into two and make them look shorter. Instead go for longer lengths. Longer kurtas too can elongate your look as the eye of the onlooker is drawn towards the continuity of the fabric, hence, creating an illusion of a taller you! Another sure-shot way to look tall in a kurta is to wear them with higher side slits. Pair long slitted kurtas with churidaars to make your legs look longer and slimmer.
5. Always watch the waistlineA number of kurtis and kurtas come in designs that are either cut at the waist or a little higher. If you are short, avoid wearing kurtas that cut at the waist. This will create a visible gap between your upper and lower half and will make you appear shorter. What you want to do is create continuous long vertical lines that will give an illusion of height. If you are wearing an anarkali, then you should go for a kalidar anarkali rather than a choli-cut. Kalidar has that fabric continuity that will elongate your look.POPxo Recommends: BIBA Blue Cotton Kalidar Suit Set (Rs. 2,399)
6. Highlight your legs the right way!Churidaars and leggings automatically make you legs look slender and hence longer compared to salwars. If you want to wear wide legged trousers or palazzos then team them up with short kurtis. Wear wedges with wide legged trousers and always make sure that your kurti ends at mid-thigh level and not lower.
7. The devil is in the detailsKeep in mind that it’s the little things that make a great impact, especially when it comes to Indian wear. Make sure you choose the right neck for your blouses and kurta. Deep necks and V-necks will make you look slender compared to high neck designs. Similarly, don’t go overboard with prints. Stick to light prints and avoid big clumpy prints that will not only make you appear shorter but also bulkier.Images: Shutterstock
HAVE A STORY IDEA FOR POPxo? If you want to hear about it, we can write about it! Just tell us your idea here!MUST-READ: 8 New & Amazing Styles In Indian Wear To Inspire Your Tailor!MUST-READ: 8 Fashion Choices That Make Everyone Look Slimmer! (YAY!!)