You know how the saying goes, “First comes love, then comes marriage…”, but what about other aspects of your life? We all focus on finding The One and getting hitched, but sometimes we forget about all the awesome things we should do before our life becomes about ‘we’ rather than ‘me’. We give you some things every girl should do before she gets married. After all, you need some interesting stories to tell your grandkids, right?!
1. Live Alone
Or with a roommate. It’s the best way to enjoy a sense of freedom and independence. Plus, it’ll make you more appreciative of the things your spouse will contribute to your life.
2. Travel With Your Sister/ BestiesGrab your squad and go on a trip. You can’t imagine how exciting and unforgettable it’ll be to travel on an all-girls trip! After marriage and kids, it’s not as easy to just take off like that.
3. Have Your Heart BrokenWe’ve all fallen for the wrong guy before and know that it only makes us stronger. Having your heart broken makes you understand love better and appreciate the right guy more when he comes along.
4. Understand Your Finances BetterWe’ve all made budgeting mistakes, which have turned into life lessons. Learn about taxes and credit. We’re all for equality, so it’s unfair to expect someone else to be the only person to worry about such things on your behalf (even if it’s your parents!).
5. Chase Your Dream JobWhether you’ve always wanted to be an actress or an artist, there’s no harm in trying. Give it a shot even if it is just for a few months. You don’t want to have any regrets later on.
6. Date. A Lot!
Join a dating app, go on a date fixed up by common friends. You don’t want to feel like you missed out on the amazing and sometimes horrible experiences of single life.
7. Clean Up Your ActDrink less, learn to live tidier, work out and stay healthy. You would expect the same from your future spouse.
8. Learn To Cook
No, not to make your future mother-in-law happy, but so you can fend for yourself if you ever need to. It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, it can even just be 2 easy recipes - as long as you can feed yourself.
9. Spend Time With Your ParentsHave one of those shopping trips and coffee sessions with your mom, bond with your dad over a glass of wine. You’ll miss them the most once you’re married, even if you do live close to them.
10. Figure Out How You Really Feel About Having KidsDo you want one or a whole cricket team? Would you prefer to adopt a child in need? Are you content with not having any at all? Decide what you want and make sure your husband and you are on the same page about it before you tie the knot.
11. Accept People For Who They Are You need to learn to understand and accept people for their strengths and weaknesses. Expecting people to change, especially your partner, will only set you up for disappointment.
12. Learn To Fight Fair and Apologize SincerelySpats and arguments are a given in any relationship - and face it, you can’t always be right. Learn to admit when you’re wrong and be fair, for the wellbeing of your relationship.
13. Splurge On Yourself Self-indulge and pamper yourself because you can and you should. Go on, you know you want to buy those shoes!
14. Love Your Body Everybody has something they wish they could change about their body, yes, even girls you believe have amazing figures. Accept it, embrace it and understand that you’re beautiful.
15. Figure Out The Type Of Person You Want To End Up With
So you know that you’re not settling.
16. Spend Time AloneBe comfortable being alone instead of being lonely and get to know yourself. It’s the only way somebody else will also be comfortable being around you. GIFs: huffingtonpost, thegloss, tumblr, grabhouseMUST-READ: Why The “Right” Time To Get Married Is When YOU Are Ready!MUST-READ: 10 Things To Ask Yourself Before You Decide To Get Married