“Twenty five years and my life is still trying to get up that great big hill of hope... For a destination.” - 4 non blondes
The twenties - a period of numerous transitions, opportunities and adventure. It can be overwhelming to say the least. Here’s what they don’t tell you: that the twenties come with a mountain of anxieties about jobs, unemployment, relationships and money. You’re officially an adult, but you struggle with it. It’s a decade of lessons, heartbreaks, confusion, growth and transformation. And, quite frankly, it gives you a royal pain in the, umm, all the wrong places. And this is how it begins…
1. You’ve finally left home, the stability of education, and you’re ready to kick-start your life.
Brimming with youthful confidence, you believe that you can conquer the world.
2. Only, that excitement and the joy of your newfound freedom is short-lived.
Before you know it, you’re knocked out by the “WHAT’S NEXT?” question.
3. The JOB panic!
If you’re the lucky few who could land a campus placement - kudos to you! But for the rest of us lesser mortals - you know the drill.
4. Followed by the LIFE panic!
Like panic attacks about bagging the perfect job wasn’t enough! You start to wonder about life and everything in between. The result? Multiple panic attacks! BREATHE.
At which point, you also give a thought to alternate career options…
Which in turn leads you to a point where you want to resign from society altogether. You buy a copy of Into The Wild and you seriously consider living the simple life...somewhere in the Himalayas.
5. Only, that phase lasts for a maximum of three hours…
...and you instantly snap back when you see a gorgeous pair of shoes online.
6. But all it does to you is this...
7. You suddenly decide to rope down your expenses and you stay at home…
...browsing through the lives of your friends on Facebook. They look like they have it all figured out. (Trust me, they haven’t).
8. Classmates are getting married, but you can’t see yourself get married in the next 5 light years.
Which makes you feel pretty convinced that you’re going to end up with cats. Lots of them.
9. You dread having to explain your decisions and choices to your curious relatives.
You begin to desperately wish that there weren’t so many family functions and events you have to attend!
10. Existential crisis becomes real...
...and Britney Spears suddenly makes sense.
11. Here’s the good thing: you’re not the only one.
And things have a magical way of working out.
Transitions can be scary, but they’re also empowering. You will make mistakes and fall down, but you will also get up - stronger, better and wiser.
Twenties is an adventurous new place, but it is also a place where you will find out who you really are and where you want to go. You might feel lost, left behind, dumb at times, and that’s totally okay. We all have our chaos and crisis, but that’s the beauty of it all. So what if you can’t get the dream job/ relationship/ hair right away...you still have a roof over your head and killer shoes. So chin up, girlfriend! Don’t be too hard on yourself, let your hair down and rock your twenties.