Have you seen the “Dear Fat People” video? Yes, that insensitive 6-minute long rant about how being fat is WRONG! If you’ve ever been called fat, chubby or even overweight, you’ll know what a confidence-buster body-shaming can be. Thankfully, celebrities refuse to put up with such bullying and make it a point to come back with strong responses to body-shamers. From Parineeti Chopra and Sonakshi Sinha to Miley Cyrus and Amy Schumer, every one of these rockstars have given fitting replies to the shamers and put all wisecracks to rest. Here’s a list of the top comebacks… #RespectLadies
1. Sonakshi Sinha
has always criticized the media's obsession with how the female body should look and her Instagram feed is proof. A few months back though, Rishi Kapoor tweeted an image with a "joke" that was made in really poor taste. It said "Alia reads in newspaper, police caught 80 kg heroine. Alia: Shit yaar, Sonakshi ko kyon pakda!". Sinha downplayed the incident and responded with, "I am sure this wasn’t created by him. It’s been something that has been going around for a while. Maybe he just found it funny, that’s OK, that’s his opinion. It’s his sense of humour. It is fine, it’s meant to be taken the right way." Way to be the bigger person girl!!
was called a "little too fat" by famous designer Karl Lagerfeld. Did she take that sitting down? Hell no! Her response to his comment was, "I've never wanted to be a skinny mini with my t*ts out. I represent the majority of women and I'm very proud of that." #MostEpicComebackEver
3. Deepika Padukone took the media to task about their blatant sexism when it comes to printing stories about the female body recently when she was subjected to objectification by TOI recently (when a picture of her cleavage was used with a story). Deeps tweeted about TOI’s inexcusable use of the picture to bring in more readers. To make things worse, TOI responded by saying that Deepika flaunted her cleavage off-screen as well and hence shouldn’t be hypocritical about the pictures they use.
4. Anushka Sharma, similarly, wrote an open letter asking people to mind their own business and stop commenting on what she does with her own body. She had been the subject of insane criticism ever since news broke that she had surgically enhanced her lips. “This was my decision and was done for the sake of my look in my upcoming film Bombay Velvet, a period drama where I play a jazz singer in the 1960's - 70's,” she explained.
5. Fat isn’t the first word that comes to mind when you think Miley Cyrus. In fact, the Wrecking Ball crooner is considered one of the fittest members of Hollywood. Yet, a few critics seemed to disagree and threw some shade her way on social media. Miley responded with an epic comeback: “I love MYSELF & If you could say the same you wouldn't be sitting on your computer trying to hurt others.” In addition, she shared a picture of an emaciated woman on her Twitter feed with the message: By calling girls like me fat, this is what you're doing to other people”.
6. While many have criticized Huma Qureshi’s size, no one was prepared for what came next! Huma posed as the cover girl for an issue of Femina magazine. The headline screamed: “I don’t owe you perfection! My body My rules!” We couldn’t agree more!
Femina On Instagram (Here)
7. We all noticed when Lady Gaga starting flaunting a more fuller figure. While some (us included) loved her more for it, she also started to receive a lot of hate. People actually questioned how her weight gain had affected her self esteem. Her honest and extremely blunt response shut everyone up! "Well, you know... my self-esteem was fine. It was everybody else’s problem. I didn’t have a problem with my weight. The world did.” And that’s why you NEVER mess with Gaga!
8. Even though Aishwarya Rai Bachchan went off the grid during her pregnancy, the media couldn’t stop talking about her weight post childbirth. The internet was flooded with pictures of her appearances after beti B was born and blogs, fans and entertainment columns alike couldn’t stop talking about how she needed to lose that “baby weight”. Mrs.Bachchan, being her ever so graceful self responded by making fun of her own weight. And then made everyone shut up with her appearance at Cannes and with her comeback film Jazbaa (where she looks absolutely smashing!!).
9.Even a stunner like Jennifer Lawrence got called a “fairly tall, big-boned lady”. Some reports even revealed that the actress was considered too “thick” to convincingly play the part of a starving teen in the movie The Hunger Games. But the good humoured J-Law almost always manages to stun her haters with her perfect comebacks. She made the world stand up and take notice when she sent out this message to her detractors: “If anybody even tries to whisper the word 'diet,' I'm like, 'You can go f**k yourself."
Images: Shutterstock, Tumblr, Viral Bhayani
MUST-READ: #NotSoSkinny: 6 Celebs Show Us How To Rock Our Curves!
MUST-READ: #OwnIt: 19 Inspiring Quotes About Celebrating YOUR Body!