Knowing how to dress for your body gets easier over time - you learn what you want to draw attention away from and what you want to emphasize. But arms can be a problem area for so many of us - whether we're slim or curvy or any other shape. After all, toning those biceps is not such an easy task!
So before you go rushing off to the gym to tone, tone, tone (which you should totally do, BTW), here are some simple but sneaky styling tricks that will work wonders and make your arms look slimmer!
1. Swap Your Sleeves!The length of your sleeves alters the appearance of your upper body dramatically! Cap sleeves and tight, fitted sleeves are known to accentuate the upper arms and make them appear bigger - so stay away from those! Instead, opt for cold shoulders (sleeves with cut outs on the shoulder), batwing sleeves or even butterfly sleeves.When you are wearing a short-sleeved shirt, make sure the sleeves are a bit loose, as these will make your arms appear slimmer. Three-quarter length sleeves also work wonders for making your arms look longer! Top Tip: This trick works wonders with Indian clothes as well, so you can keep it in mind when getting kurtis and blouses tailored too! POPxo recommends: Asos Curve Top With V Neck & 70s Sleeve (Rs 2,250)
2. Tone With A Tan!This is a trick that even movie stars use for those red carpet events! Using body makeup is a great way to fake flawlessly toned arms! So when you want to go sleeveless, all you have to do is flex your arm and apply bronzer to the triceps and biceps - giving them an outline. Remember, less is more! So start with a light coating and then apply more if needed. You’ll be amazed when you see the difference!Top Tip: This works wonders when you’re going for a party where there will be someone taking lots and lots of photos! Combine this trick with the infamous "skinny arm pose" and you will be #winning the arm game all night long! POPxo recommends: Maybelline Fit Medium Bronze (Rs 967)
3. Tops, Not Tees!Blouses are a great style choice to make your arms look slimmer. Instead of going for flowy or unstructured blouses, though, opt for box shaped blouses. The structured sleeves will make your arms appear slender for sure! A sheer blouse works really well too, as the fabric only hints at your shape and doesn’t highlight what you don’t want it to!Top Tip: Go for one that has slight detailing on it to further amp up your look! POPxo recommends: Kazo Beige Printed Blouse (Rs 1,183)
4. Divert With DetailsUsing details and prints really works well to divert attention away from areas that you may be uncomfortable with. For example, wearing a skirt that has an interesting print and combining it with a lightweight, pastel top means that the skirt will be the focal point of your outfit! Top Tip: If you find yourself in a situation that calls for sleeveless, divert the attention by wearing skinny bracelets. These will elongate your arms and make them appear slender!POPxo recommends: Asos Curve Pencil Skirt In Engineered Stripe (Rs 2,250)
5. Amp Up The Volume BelowIf you feel like your arms are a problem area, just turn to the other parts of your body that you are more comfortable with! For example if you are wearing a top and a skirt, why not opt for a top that has details on it, like vertical stripes, and match it with a skirt that amps up volume! This way all the attention is drawn away from the arms and goes towards where you want it to! Top Tip: Monochrome is an amazing way to go as it creates an effortlessly classy look! POPxo recommends: Asos Curve Skater Skirt (Rs 2,046)
6. Experiment Like An Expert When going for dresses, you might not always want to cover up your arms! We know it sounds a bit out-there, but by going sleeveless and experimenting with different necklines you will be, again, drawing the attention away from your arms and bringing more focus to other parts of your body!Top Tip : Try a V-neck dress with wide straps or even a halter-neck with an embellished neckline! POPxo recommends: AX Paris Floral Print Ruffle Maxi Dress (Rs 2,995)MUST-READ: Byebye, Muffin Top! 6 Super Tricks That Work EVERY Time!