How To Be "Miss Popular" - According To The Movies! * Wink *
You know that girl that everyone wants to be friends with? Yeah, the one who walks down the hallways while wind flows in her hair and everyone watches? The one who holds the secrets to being THE “It” girl, and has all the boys (and girls) fawning over her every single move? Yeah…us neither! But these girls do seem to exist in the movies! So we decided to put together the ultimate list of rules for you to follow to become an “It” girl - the Hollywood-Bollywood way!
1. Shake It Like Shanaya - Student Of The Year
Shanaya is Miss Popular, and knows how to bring her A game to the flirting table. We watch as students compete for the Student of the Year trophy - and for love too! Shanaya does all this and more while flirting with one boy to gain another one's attention…and there’s even a kiss!
What Shanaya taught us:
- Be the best-dressed girl every other girl wants to be, and that girl every guy on campus wants to date. (SO EASY, no?)
- Ride into school with the “It” boy on a totally badass motorcycle.
- Bring a guy’s grandma flowers every day while she’s ill so that he knows you care!
2. Rule It Like Regina - Mean Girls
This coming of age movie that showed what American high school really looks like! Cady gets adopted by the Plastics and learns first hand what it means to be popular in high school, from teen royalty herself - Regina George! She’s the Queen Bee and has her own little clique to do whatever she says.
What Regina taught us:
- If you’re popular, you can turn anything into a trend. Yes, army pants with flip-flops too! *Cringe*
- To question any and everything: Is butter a carb?
- The cardinal rule: On Wednesdays, you MUST wear pink.
3. Party It Up Like Poo - Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham
Rahul marries the girl from the wrong side of the tracks. They move to London, and the girl’s younger sister goes from Pooja to Poo! She might be a bit self-absorbed, but she has a heart of gold! Ultimately, though, she and Rahul’s brother (who underwent his own transformation into a Greek God) bring the whole family back together!
What Poo taught us:
- Only judge guys based on three things: good looks, good looks and good looks! Duh.
- Never stick to the dress code for your college prom.
- Use acronyms wherever possible: PHAT- Pretty, Hot and Tempting!
4. Be Choosy Like Cher - Clueless
The story of a rich high school student who uses her matchmaking and popularity boosting talents for the good of the world! By taking the new girl under her wing and giving her a makeover of course! (But, seriously, where can we get that fashion computer?)
What Cher taught us:
- Don’t date high school boys - ugh, as if!
- Learn how to use the word sporadically, duh!
- Don’t bother how to learn parallel parking - uh, because everywhere has valet?
5. The Aisha Attitude - Aisha
Let’s meet Aisha, your s̶u̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶v̶i̶l̶e̶g̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶m̶p̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶n̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ average South Delhi girl! This movie is, of course, based on Clueless...which was, of course, based on Emma. Except here we get to watch Aisha give a makeover to a girl who wears a salwar kameez (not overalls!) and the chaos that ensues when she decides to play matchmaker!
What Aisha taught us:
- Claim to be an event planner and look super stylish at every given moment!
- After successfully matching up one of your relatives, you’re pretty much Cupid.
- Retail therapy WORKS! (Ignore Papa when he cribs about the credit card bill. He will not lock you in your room, we're sure.)
6. Just Be Janey - She’s All That
The front-runner of all teen movies: there’s a bet, a makeover and a prom! Janey wears a ponytail and overalls. That’s right - a ponytail. Enter the super-cool jock and voila! She gets rid of the ponytail, wears a red dress, does her eyebrows - and teen royalty right there. And a runner for homecoming queen!
What Janey taught us:
- Creepy-looking art can turn your boy on.
- Never, ever wear your hair in a ponytail!
- Seriously, NEVER.
7. Trump It Up Like Tina - Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
In this story about star-crossed lovers (you know, because of all the wishing on the shooting stars) we learn that love is friendship - pyaar dosti hai. As new girl, Tina enters St. Xavier’s College as the super-smart, previously Oxford-University-educated, sassy girl who changes the course of Anjali and Rahul’s friendship forever!
What Tina taught us:
MUST-READ: How to ‘Get Noticed’ and Become a Star the Bollywood Way!
MUST-READ: 13 SASSY Movie Quotes We Wish We Could Pull Off In Real Life!
- Sashay down the hallway in a mini skirt - even though your dad, the principal, says “No short skirts allowed”.
- You can’t just put on a pair of hoop earrings and an orangey pink ensemble and make it look easy - sorry, Anj!
- In order to truly be an “It” girl, you need to know not only Western dance moves but also your pooja-paath hymns.
Published on Aug 14, 2015