We give you some super-simple tips that some of you may already know about, but when you actually follow them religiously they could bring life-changing improvements to your skin. This is skincare 101 for fabulous, clear skin.
1. Get summer-ready by cleaning out your dresser and getting rid of heavy bronzers and foundations. Opt for light day creams and BB creams with SPF
along with mineral/powder based makeup.
2. Keep your face clean
. Cleanse your face with a medicated face wash like Cetaphil
in the morning. Rinse your face and neck with cold water and use a foam-based like Za True White Cleansing Foam
after you come back from a hot day in the sun. This’ll help get rid of impurities and leave you feeling refreshed too.
3. Use a refreshing shower gel to maintain the pH balance of your skin
. Wipe yourself dry with a cotton towel. Damp skin, in combination with heat and humidity can lead to irritation, infections and boils.
4. Take out 30 seconds to massage a day cream
like Olay Total Effects Day Cream SPF 15
on your face and neck. Use your fingertips in a circular motion so that the skin absorbs it better.
5. Make sure you apply a broad spectrum sunscreen
: UVA and UVB protection are non-negotiable. Dermalogica Ultra Sensitive Faceblock SPF 25,
is great for sensitive skin whereas Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist SPF 30
fits our budgets better.
6. Soothe angry, irritated skin
with the goodness of Dabur Gulabari Rose Water
. It’s easy on the pocket and great for the skin. Spritz rosewater on face and body
, and irritated areas, dab with a cotton swab gently to see the difference.
7. Stop touching your face
: you’re always collecting dirt and sweat on your hands, especially thanks to your phone keypad! Stash a hand sanitizer in every handbag and try to cut out this habit
, in general.
8. A long day in the sun can leave your skin greasy and grimy. carry a face mist
like Kama Ayurveda Pure Lavender Water
with you: it’s refreshing, has distilled water and will definitely help cool you and your skin down.
9. Keep your back acne-free
with the goodness of tea-tree oil. Add a few drops of The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil
to your bathwater.
10. Stick to BB and CC creams
: they are corrective and provide medium coverage. Try Avon Ideal Flawless CC Cream
, it provides good coverage and lasts long too; or Garnier Skin Naturals BB Cream
, for a radiant glow.
11. Facial waxing and bleaching can irritate or burn your skin
. We suggest investing in a product like Braun’s Mini Epilator+Cleansing Brush
. It has two special applicators - one to tweeze your upper lip, forehead and eyebrows; and the other, an exfoliating brush specially designed for your face. With your face hair-free and clear, you won’t have much to worry about. So it’s a win, win situation!
12. Try avoiding the sun before and after you opt for a facial/clean-up.
If you have an event/party coming up, go for a facial at least 2-3 days beforehand so the redness settles down in time.
13. Smoking releases toxins in your body and alcohol dehydrates your body
. So smoke and drink in moderation, and make sure to stay hydrated while downing those cocktails.
14. Detox your system with fresh fruits
like watermelon, papaya, grapes, strawberries and more.
15. Load up on coconut water this summer: it’s a powerhouse of minerals
which makes it great for both, your skin and body.
16. Stay hydrated and energetic by investing in a fruit-infused sipper
. Add a few slices of lemon/berries or any other citrus fruits. Top it up with salt, chia seeds and you’re good to go!
17. Hygiene is of utmost importance
: if you’re sweating like a pig, take a shower. No excuses. Same goes with makeup. Keep cleansing tissues/makeup remover wipes at your bedside table to avoid zits.
18. Load up on Vitamin C
, berries have a low glycemic index. Eating berries this summer can actually help reduce the risk of pimples.
19. Your boss, or your boyfriend can induce stress that can show up on your face in no time. Release all that frustration (along with endorphins) by working out as much as you can
. It’ll help you give you a glow that no blusher can compete with.
20. Wash your face both before and after you exercise
. Make sure to take off your makeup before your workout or it’ll mix with your sweat, and lead to clogged pores.
21. Post workout, take a break for 10 minutes, cool down and head to shower. Look for a product with salicylic acid for post-workout-shower
. This way you’ll avoid boils, breakouts and clogged pores.
22. For an instant glow keep a stash of sandalwood powder in your house.
Mix it with a teaspoon of milk/rose water. Apply on face, neck (make more if you need it for back or legs) and keep it on for 20 minutes. Wash off with cool water and say hello to a more radiant you.
23. Use a night cream/serum to repair and rejuvenate your skin
. Apply a serum like Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate
or Lancôme Genifique Youth Activating Concentrate
. These are potent formulas that hydrate and plump your skin as you sleep.
24. Retain your skin’s elasticity by using gram flour
on your face from time to time. Take a tablespoon of gram flour and mix it with plain water/rosewater. Keep it on for 20 minutes and you’ll see your skin feels tighter and brighter.
25. Style your hair before putting on your makeup
. If you rev up the blow drier with your makeup on, the heat will melt your makeup, sealing it into your pores. This can clog your pores and also make them bigger!
26. Use light makeup
in this scorching weather like cheek stains, mineral-based eyeshadows to avoid tiring out your skin. Our favourite are Benefit by Benetint
and Maybelline Eye Shadow Palettes
27. Eating too much chocolate means too much sugar which leads to breakout
s. Allow yourself to have an ounce of dark chocolate (60-70%) and see the difference.
28. Avoid skin care products containing alcohol
, especially if you have dry skin. It dries out your skin even more, whereas fragrances can lead to allergic reactions.
29. Make sure the makeup you're using (eyeliner, foundation, blush) are not past their expiration date
. Buy a new mascara every 5 months; their residue can actually seep into your skin and pop up as zits.
30. Clean your makeup brushes
regularly by dipping them in hot water and baby shampoo. Rinse, set them out on clean tissues and let them air-dry! Use clean brushes to avoid breakouts.
MUST READ: #HelloGorgeous: 7 Ways To Make Your Skin Glow In Minutes
MUST READ: #BeautyBasics: How To Do Your Daily Skin Care Routine Right
Want to know more?
Summer has officially arrived, which means it’s too hot to bother with layers of makeup. Instead, save that effort for healthier, clearer skin and you won’t need to hide behind your foundation.