Your makeup regime is only as effective as the tools in your arsenal, and a good set of makeup brushes should be on the top of that list. They are the secret to covering up that unexpected zit like a pro, or helping you perfect a sultry smokey eye, and faking supermodel-esque cheekbones. There are different makeup brushes available in the market which can be a bit confusing. So here we are to rescue you from this confusion!
Which Brush To Pick And How To Use It?If you don’t use brushes to apply your makeup, then you definitely need to start NOW. We give you a beginner’s guide including a list of makeup brushes and uses which will help you do up your face like an absolute pro.
1. The Foundation BrushPerfect for applying creams and liquid foundations seamlessly, the tapered edges help around those tricky corners of your nose. It’s great for building coverage for a more flawless look and will prevent that embarrassing streaking effect. Use it to apply the product in downward strokes.
POPxo Recommends: Vega Professional Foundation Brush
, Price: Rs. 690
2. The Concealer Brush
A flat rounded brush allows you to blend and cover up imperfections around the contours of the face. A good way to use it is to apply creamy concealer with one side and then flip it to use the other side to blend
away in the under eye area and around fine lines and spots.POPxo Recommends: Kent Concealer Brush, Price: Rs. 599
3. The Blush Brush
This soft, domed bristle brush is what you need to pick up and sweep on colour for that rosy glow
. Smile to help make the apples of your cheeks more pronounced and gently dust on colour, in short, circular strokes moving towards your hairline.POPxo Recommends: Colorbar Keep Blushing Blush Brush, Price: 895
4. The Lip Brush
These tiny brushes are amazing for brightening up your pucker. There’s a reason why professionals apply bright lipsticks with a brush and not straight from the tube, that’s because the colour comes out richer and with smoother precision. It also helps prevent creasing and makes your fabulous colour last much longer.POPxo Recommends: Vega Lip Filler Brush, Price: Rs. 350
5. The Eyeshadow Brush
If you’re a girl who loves making her eyes pop, then this small, stiff brush that deposits colour easily along your lids is a must. Use it to apply any kind of eyeshadow to make the pigments appear richer than they do when you apply with your fingertips.POPxo Recommends: Basicare Eyeshadow Applicator, Price: Rs. 110
6. The Smudge/Blending Brush
It’s small bristles help smudge colour in concentrated areas, making it perfect for blending in your eyeshadow, especially around the creases of the eye. It’s also what you need for blending one colour into another making it the magic tool you need to master that look-at-me smoky eye.POPxo Recommends: GloMinerals Smudge Brush, Price: Rs. 399
7. The Powder Brush
The most common brush found in most makeup collections, the powder brush is great for dusting on powder foundation or translucent powder to set your whole look. Use it all over your face to seamlessly blend all your products and to set them so they last for longer.POPxo Recommends: Powder Brush, Price: Rs. 549
8. The Contour Brush
This is just what you need to help make those cheekbones stand out and for some extra definition. Use it to sweep on shimmer, highlighter or bronzer
on your cheekbones and along the sides of your cheeks as well as to enhance your brow bone. Also, use it to down the sides of the bridge of your nose for a more sculpted look. Applying your highlighter like this gives you a pretty glow, especially when the light hits the angles of your face.POPxo Recommends: PAC Skinny Contoured Brush, Price: Rs 685
9. Stippling BrushThis is a multi-purpose brush which can be used to apply foundation, blush, bronzer, powder and highlighters. Not only this, but it also comes handy in applying liquid and cream products. So girls make sure you have this blush as this clearly serves many purposes. POPxo Recommends: Stippling Brush, Price: Rs. 700
10. Fan BrushThese brushes are majorly used for putting on highlighters, bronzing powders or even tinted moisturizers. You can also use this brush to clean up the extra makeup on your face so that there are no excessive traces left.POPxo Recommends: Smashbox Fan Brush, Price: Rs 1900
11. Eye Liner BrushThis brush helps you to apply eyeliner with precision so that your wing liner is on fleek. It can be used for liquid, gel or creamy eyeliners. You can also use this to apply eyeshadow while making a straight line on your eyelid. It makes your eyeliner look softer and more natural. POPxo Recommends: Real Eyeliner brush, Price: Rs 350
12. Bronzer BrushWhen you need to put on bronzer you need a brush that is soft and fluffy. This bronzer brush serves this purpose and helps to apply colour in a single swipe under the cheekbones. The soft bristles of this brush help to apply the right amount of color while maintaining its uniformity which gives a natural look. POPxo Recommends: Bronzer Brush Price: Rs 470
13. Mascara Brush Or SpoolieYes, there are different mascara wands for taking care of your eyelashes. A tapered mascara wand will help you to reach out the small lashes. A curved mascara wand helps to curl the eyelashes. The fatter the wand the fatter would be your eyelashes after putting on the mascara with it.POPxo Recommends: Mascara Brush Or Spoolie Price: Rs 700
And Don’t Forget To Keep Them Clean!
So now you know what brush to use for contouring and what to use for that coveted smoky eye, but washing your brushes
regularly also make up an important part of your beauty routine. Bacteria, oil, dirt and bits of makeup get caught in between the bristles which get transferred to your skin with every use, it could be the reason behind those clogged pores and sudden breakouts. Make it a point to clean your brushes once a week, depending on how often you use them. All you need it to follow a few simple steps:
MUST-READ: #RealGirlArsenal: Makeup Brushes That Every Girl Must Own!MUST-READ: #BeautyBasics: The Beginner’s Guide to Wearing Makeup
- Step 1: Rinse the bristles of your brush under lukewarm water to get rid of any residual makeup.
- Step 2: Take a bowl, fill it with lukewarm water, add a few drops of shampoo and dip your brushes in the bowl and swirl them around.
- Step 3: Rinse off with water.
- Step 4: Wipe them with a soft towel and place on a cloth to dry.