People say that Indian women take a LOT of time these days over tying the knot - unlike the older days, they say, when our parents got married quite young, with nary a second thought. And it's true! Most of us like to delay the process of getting married for as long as possible because not only isn’t marriage the only thing that matters to us but also because it can be quite a worrying prospect. Not convinced? Well, here is why young Indian women worry about getting married...1. Our mothers’ constant reminders that "Your mother-in-law won’t put up with your tantrums like I do" can make us begin to fear the idea of a mother-in-law!
2. Everyone has always told us that our lives will drastically change after marriage - and we quite like our lives just as they are!
3. In India, marriage is not a matter to be settled between two people, but something that concerns two families and at least 2 dozen people!
4. The traditional Indian man tends to be somewhat possessive (and often chauvinistic!), because of which most girls equate marriage with a loss of total independence. Going for vacations with your friends or doing a night out with them or planning a solo travel jig become insanely complicated issues.
6. We Indians are expected to follow a process: Get married, have babies, raise them, pay for their education, take care of their needs, save money for their weddings, get them married, and so on. But hey! What if we don’t want babies? It’s our choice, of course, but dealing with nosy relatives who are scandalized by our decision is not an easy task.
8. Responsibilities! Probably way more than we want to handle. Sigh!
10. The preparations can take a toll on us. And what’s with the huge expenses associated with getting married "in style"?
11. We are not yet ready to be called someone’s bhabhi, bahu, chachi or mami. I am just ME - no?
12. Given our high-soaring ambitions and career aspirations, the prospect of marriage brings with it a good deal of apprehension because it involves many tough choices that can affect us professionally. After all, it's not easy to find a man who will take a sabbatical for a few years to take care of babies while we work our way up the corporate ladder!
MUST-READ: 10 Daily Problems Only Indian Women Face
Sign in to POPxo World
India’s largest platform for women
Read. Watch. Shop. Hangout.
Sign up for POPxo World!