At every Indian wedding, you’ll be blessed with the presence of loving family, helping cousins, friends, two-dozen relatives you’ve never met, and of course, that dear aunty who has an opinion about everything. The things she’ll say will irritate every nerve in your body. Our advice: Ignore!
1. You’ve paid a bomb for that designer lehenga, been on a diet for over six months to fit into the cut, but auntyji says, "don’t you think this ghera makes you look fat?"
2. Your reception sari is of a rare peach colour that you’ve been dreaming of wearing, besides spending months looking for that shade. Auntyji thinks, "Beta this shade is so LS, you should’ve chosen some shaadi wala colour na."
3. You’ve waited 16 months to book the best venue in town for the wedding, it has drained your parents’ savings, but auntyji says, "Destination weddings are in these days. Bangkok-wangkok would have been so much better."
4. You are nervously getting ready for your big day and auntyji
keeps barging into the brides’ dressing room with some excuse or the other. She looks at you and says in a very disappointed tone, "Oh ji, lipstick kinni faint hai, apply a few more coats ladki. Use darker shades. It’s your shaadi afterall."
5. You've painstakingly chosen and sourced a coveted pair of Jimmy Choos and aunty says, "Will you be able to walk in them? No, no, don't wear these chappals. The heel will make you look taller than him."
6. You like minimal jewellery but auntyji is shocked to death: "Oh no, bas? that's it? A dulhan must be adorned with heavy jhumkas and sets. This one makes it look like you are attending someone else's wedding."
7. You have specially hired a sari specialist who gives you a sexy Bollywood-style drape, but auntyji says, "Oh my god, so much cleavage, no Beti, what will your in-laws say? Here, cover it with your pallu."
8. You are relieved to find that auntyji is no longer pestering you, but then you instantly panic when you see her hounding the photographer in order to be in every frame.
9. You’ve hired the best photographers and videographers in town who keep taking candid shots to add to your album and videos. Auntyji says, "I think they are just stalking your pretty cousins and friends. What about our photos ha?"
10. Auntyji thinks the classy trousseau packing done by your friend, who studied at a professional design school is too blah. She says, “You should have told me, my husband's sister's daughter's sister-in-law does it professionally. She would have done it for free if only I had told her.”
11. The ambience for your mehendi night is demure lighting with fragrant candles - just the way you imagined it. Auntyji says, "Why is it so dark in here? Put some light-shite on bhai? It's my niece's wedding after all!"
12. There are 50 items on the buffet. Auntyji says, “Ya, ya, but are there no dahi bhallas kya?”
Gif courtesy: Giphy.com
MUST-READ: #BridesmaidAlert: BFF Duties When Your Bestie Gets Married
MUST-READ: “Baraat Kahaan Hai?”: 29 Things You Only Hear at an Indian Wedding! Want to know more?