Reel-life Carrie Bradshaws have taught us that you can be broke and still look fabulous. You can give up the roof over your head and sleep in your car, but you cannot (gasp) wear granny jumpers. Is that even possible, though? Can you really look like a million bucks without spending a million bucks? Yes, you can! The secret here is NOT to max out your credit card but to invest in clothing and accessories that scream L-U-X-E. We give you 20 simple tips and tricks that go a long way to make this happen.
1. Lush FabricsAlthough we are all for the practicality of linen and cotton, they do crease up easily and make us look dowdy and frumpy. On the other hand, fabrics like chiffon and georgette crease less (and look expensive!). How about pairing a chiffon button-down shirt with a pair of slim-fit jeans? Did someone say effortlessly glamorous?! :)POPxo Recommends
: Pink Striped Chiffon Shirt on SnapDeal.com
2. Jewel TonesAdd rich hues and jewel tones to your wardrobe
: a sari in emerald, a sapphire-coloured shirt or a ruby-coloured lace blouse - there’s something about these rich colours that says sophisticated. Pair them up with neutrals for maximum effect.POPxo Recommends
: FabAlley Fleur Ruby Lace Top
3. Pretty PastelsPastels like mint and tea-pink and white too embody sophistication
, helping you channel a bit of your inner Blair Waldorf.POPxo Recommends: ASOS Midi Skater Dress In Bonded Texture
4. Formal and Elegant
While we’re not advocating breaking the bank, we advise you we advise you to invest in some key pieces from high-street fashion brands, like tailored pants, cardigans, a formal dress or a nice pair of denims.
For a “refined” look, go with sheath dresses, blouses, well-fitting pants and pencil skirts and blazers. A tad formal, but really elegant.POPxo Recommends
: Zara Synthetic Leather Pencil Skirt
5. A Tasteful StatementYour outfit should make you stand out of the crowd for the right reasons, not for reasons like being OTT. If done right, bold can be sexy. So say hello to at least one statement piece and warm up to good underwear.
: Charlotte Olympia Pandora Dragon Clutch
6. The Fit Is ImportantCommon sense says that your garment should fit well.
If it's a big date night and you envision yourself as his chic arm candy, make sure you don’t have to keep tugging on shirt or to keep pulling on your neckline. The outfit you wear should make you look like a snug bug.
7. Juxtapose Your LookMix hard and soft - bad-ass meets romantic can be pretty cool!
Think of a structured leather jacket paired with a tea-pink dress. Try and understand which pairings work well in terms of fabrics and cuts.POPxo Recommends
: Forever 21 Perforated Moto Jacket
8. Something Splruge-Worthy
An old trick in the book is to mix luxury with high-street fashion.
Granted, we cannot indulge in every item off the runway, but we can pamper ourselves with an occasional luxury item. Get all your friends to pool in for your birthday gift and pick up a designer dress - and then pair it up with a high-street blazer for a repeat outing. Accessories like key-chains, wallets and coin purses are great to buy just to get the feel of a brand. Try to invest in a luxe handbag
- that can really elevate your look.POPxo Recommends
: Bottega Veneta Knotted Crepe Dress
9. Keep The Bling In Check
Keep the jewels and trinkets to a minimum: a watch with a big dial, a chain-link necklace, solitaire studs or a cocktail ring. Too much bling, and you run the risk of replacing a Christmas tree somewhere.
: Micael Kors Bradshaw Rose Gold-Tone Stainless Steel Watch
10. Metal Touches
Gold or gold-plated jewellery always gives one a regal look. Also try out other metallic jewellery, like a silver cuff, gold hoops or a bronze neckpiece. Classics always trump trends.POPxo Recommends
: Carat Lane Jazz Hoop Earrings
11. Glam Accessories
Accessories like silk scarves, pashminas, skinny belts and faux leather or fur vests up the glamour quotient.
Invest in them, borrow them, look for them at a fraction of the price
at vintage stores when you travel abroad.POPxo Recommends
: Satya Paul Digital Print Silk Stole
12. Mixing Textures
Some other textures to include in your wardrobe would be tweed, houndstooth and cable-knit. How chic does a cable-knit sweater look, paired with boyfriend jeans
and nude heels? Know your fabrics and textures, and you'll stay on the fabulous side of things!
13. Sparkly DressesOne word: sequins. Sequinned dresses are perfect for a night out, and you can style them differently every time.
So are LBDs
and LWDs - have two of them ready for a bad hair day!POPxo Recommends
: The Vanca Sequinned Yoke Dress
14. A Classic Bag
Although we love our jholas
, we’re not going for the Bunty Aur Babli
look. Please keep your cloth bags and totes away. Buy sturdy and structured bags.
We’re not talking about Balenciaga, but a Topshop satchel won’t hurt your pocket too badly, will it?POPxo Recommends
: River Island Pink Satchel
15. Shoes Should Never Be Shabby
We’re all for shopping at Colaba, but chappals
don’t make it to the luxe list. Glamour and high-heels are synonymous.
What’s a little pain when looking like a million dollars, huh? ;) If well-dressed is your office code, steer clear of flip-flops and sandals (toe overhang!). Opt for closed toe shoes like ballerinas, suede moccasins, loafers or classic pumps.POPxo Recommends
: Carlton London Black Stilettos
16. Minimalism is Key
As a general rule, your ensemble should look well put together, without too many competing items vying for your attention.
Minimalist separates = Maximum attention.
17. Blazers Will Always Come In HandyInvest in a good blazer.
It can literally save any outfit.POPxo Recommends
: Pepper Closet Single Breastes Blazer
18. Simplicity + Minimalism + Flair = Awesome.Staying minimalistic can elevate your look.
19. Balance Between Sexy and CoolA nice blazer can complement a cleavage-showing top, a nice cardigan will go will with that short dress, and the like. So make a strong statement and buy some good outerwear.
20. Confidence Is Fabulous
Elegance and flair is not what you wear, but a matter of how you carry yourself. So, lastly, regardless of what you wear, always be fabulous! MUST-READ: 10 Fabulous Style Tips To Look Like A Leggy LassMUST-READ: #FashionHacks: Tips and Tricks from an Ace Bollywood Stylist